June 16, 2013

Veronica Mars Watch-Along Week 12

[Graphic designed by the lovely Judith of Paper Riot]
So, how does this work, super sleuths? Go check out the Watch-Along kick off post for the skinny. I'll give you a second just in case...

All caught up? Good.

In case you already know the basics and just forgot what episodes are up today, here's the list:
  • "A Trip to the Dentist"
  • "Leave it to Beaver"
And, for NEXT WEEK - AKA THE BEGINNING OF SEASON 2:
  • "Normal is the Watchword"
  • "Driver Ed"
THE NOIR
Well, kid, we've reached the end of season 1, which means we now know who killed Lilly. I know a lot of people who watch this series and are like: "I DIDN'T SEE THIS COMING AT ALL. GOD, HOW UNBELIEVABLE." But, I mean, the Aaron Echolls is SUPER CRAZY PSYCHOTIC VIOLENT plot has been sitting there stewing for like a dozen episodes, so I buy it.

But also, in general, it's not a great episode for Aaron. He knows NOTHING about his son, including when his birthday is and what he's allergic to. Then he's the creepy guy in the back of the car (HEY HORROR MOVIE). And THEN he tries to kill Veronica and her pops to get those tapes back if only to end up getting hit by a car. And y'know what? HE DESERVES ALL OF THE ABOVE. Blorg. Aaron is the worst. THE WOOOOORST. Super glad he's the killer so we can lock him up finally.


There's also the mystery of WHO RAPED VERONICA, which ended up falling a little flat - Veronica was "raped" by Duncan (who was ALSO drugged, him actually by Logan, Veronica by Dick via Madison Sinclair), who she thought was her brother, but actually isn't because someone actually opened the paternity test results (THANKS FOR THAT KEITH). That whole piece really annoyed me, but the rest? With the scary murdering on Aaron Echolls's part? Yeah. TERRORTOWN. Terrortown is where I was living.

LEAVE LOGAN ALONE
I can't say I'm totally pleased with Veronica in these last few episodes. Okay. She's a teenager and she's been through a lot and her dad totally encouraged her assumptions, but yo, CUT MY BOY A BREAK. I mean, she just jumps right down Logan's throat at every turn. First she assumes he knew about her being raped/that he raped her because he happened to have GHB on him the night of the party. I'll admit that's not the best move, but STILL. Still. You're kissing this boy who's promising to protect you and then you're like "NO YOU RAPED ME." Which had me all *head desk* to the millionth degree.


Ugh. As if that's not enough, Veronica finds a camera in the ceiling fan of Logan's family pool house and immediately assumes Logan is up to no good. He just swore that he would do anything to protect her and V told him she trusted him and then the second he walks out the door she's all SUSPICIOUS TOWN AND BYE. And like, I get that Veronica's suspicious by nature and trusts no one, but dear GOD I cannot handle the way she's behaving on the Logan front. Like, who do you think you are? And who do you think Logan is that he can take over his PARENTS poolhouse like that? Okay, I get that Logan spend a lot of time there, but wouldn't you assume the PARENT/person who owns the house is the one doing the altering, not the teenage son?


And then, as if I wasn't already super crazy mad at Veronica for wah wah behavior toward Logan, she finds out his alibi's no good and immediately assumes he killed Lilly. Okay, it doesn't help that Keith's all up in Logan's grill as well, but shouldn't Keith no better too? Sure, it's a serious and suspicious lie to keep up for a year, but would you talk to the boy? Every other thing you've suspected him of and then spoke to him about has turned out to be you jumping to conclusions and pissing me off. I dunno. I can't say I would be doing much talking if I were Veronica but this is just TOO MUCH for me.


PARENTAL PROBLEMS
Lianne comes back. LIANNE. COMES. BACK. But it turns out she's still a drunk and then steals money from her family.


Truth time? Every time I watch Lianne take that check, I can't even handle it. She knows she's screwed up husband and daughter's lives and yet she STILL takes that money. Okay, she has a really bad habit, but it's a habit she's been sustaining without out the $50,000. AND she owes her daughter considering V stuck her in rehab and Lianne blew it. Ugh. Anger times. ANGER TIMES.

Oh, and more parental drama? So I totally get why the Kanes wouldn't want the truth getting out when they thought Duncan killed Lilly, but this Abel Koontz mess totally kept them from figuring out that Aaron actually did it and that KILLS ME. I guess I understand why people wouldn't trust the system, but the Kanes have more money than everyone in Neptune, so they'd totally be able to protect Duncan if it came down to that. That totes would have pissed me off too, but ugh. This whole thing pissed me off MORE.


I will say that I'm very happy with how freaking NORMAL Alicia is in this episode. She gets mad because Veronica's too much of an adult and then she's there for Keith even though Keith broke up with her to make an effort with his alcoholic wife. 

THE WORDS. OH THE WORDS.

Keith: "Buenos Dias. I know. In all the countries under military dictatorship in all the world..."
Duncan: "So did they give you the jet to take me back home or am I supposed to click my heels?"

I don't like Duncan, but I totally love this conversation.

Logan: "Veronica, all I care about is you."

I am legitimately crying right now. He is the most perfect ever.

Logan: "Goodbye Dick."
Dick: "What?"
Logan: "Get out of my house. If you have a problem with Veronica, you leave. Actually, you have a problem with Veronica, you're pretty much dead to me, so just like evaporate or something, I don't know. That's kind of a general invitation. If you don't like my girlfriend then, just start heading to the rectangle with the knob."

HOW IS LOGAN THE MOST PERFECT?

Veronica: "I'm sorry, we're past the confessional portion of this program. We're on to full make out."

Ah, the good 30 seconds of the relationship.

Logan: "I can't take that I hurt you when all I wanna do is protect you."

Please. Bestill my beating heart.

Veronica: "You're not trying to burn a hole in a stack of paper using only the power of your stare again, are you?"

HA. Ha.

THE BOYS
  • Logan: I have those hearts popping out of my eyes like in those anime shows. I just can't even contain my love. If anything bad happens to him on that bridge I will never, ever forgive Veronica. Seriously.
  • Duncan: Ew. A goatee. Also. Way to sleep with a girl you thought was you sister. WAY.
  • Weevil: REAL CUTE THAT YOU'RE THERE TO SAVE VERONICA ALSO. But calm down with the jumping to conclusions thing. Logan is NOT your guy, sir. NOT.
  • Wallace: VERONICA. SHE TOLD HIM ALL OF THE THINGS AND I LOVE. 
  • Dick: So somehow Dick's become the most repulsive character in this whole show (except Aaron Echolls) over the course of two episodes. He's really gross. That being said, if you scroll down to the bottom you might see that I still have affections for this repulsive boy.

THAT ENDING
MYSTERIOUS KNOCKING ON THE DOOR. WHO IS VERONICA HAPPY TO SEE?

Okay, total honesty, I know what happens next, but I WILL say that I'm SUPER GLAD I binged this whole series after it finished because I would have killed myself waiting for season 2. Like, I have vivid memories of it being SUPER LATE when I finished season 1 and I was all like "I'll start 2 tomorrow, this is perfect." And then season 1 ended and my fingers were reaching for disc 1 of season 2 because I NEEDED TO KNOW and then proceeded to watch like the first 2 episodes of season 2 because OH MY FREAKING GOD.

ADDITIONAL HILARITY
There are a lot of YouTube videos popping up from all the cast members who've signed up to be apart of the Veronica Mars movie. There's this one of Dick/Ryan Hansen that's definitely my favorite of the bunch. If not my favorite video of all time. So even though Dick sucked in season 1 (and possibly more than that), I'd still be REALLY UPSET if he didn't end up in the movie.

Okay kids. Season 1 is done. How's your heart doing right now? Did the last two episodes kill you too? Are you ready for season 2? ARE YOU ARE YOU ARE YOU? Talk to me in the comments below before I jump through the ceiling, would you?